South Tampa Chamber Military Affairs Committee Update - September 2020
STCOC Military Affairs Committee,
Thank you to the members who were able to join us this week for our MAC Meeting with Habitat for Humanity! We will be sending out meeting notes and some additional information in the near future.
Our next meeting will be on October 13th, please RSVP to receive the ZOOM link.
Save the Date: The 24th Annual Fall Golf Classic will take place at Bay Palms Golf Course on MacDill on November 6th! Golfer registration and sponsorships now available!
Chamber Updates & Announcements
In an abundance of caution, and because the health of our members, staff, and our community is our first priority, most Chamber events and meetings will continue in a virtual setting through the remainder of the year, however we have begun to host some small networking opportunities. We recommend that you check the chamber’s online calendar for additional updates and announcements on our programming including our Resiliency 101 Workshop Series (Sept. 21-25) & South Tampa Restaurant Week (Oct. 10-18)!
CareerSource of Tampa Bay - SEE FLYERS BELOW!
- Commissioner Sandy Murman is hosting a Virtual Job Fair October 8, 2020 for 10am-2pm and information can be found at www.careersourcetb.com/jobfair. POC for this event is Kahmeel Callahan Callahank@careersourcetb.com 813.397.2078.
- Beginning Oct 8, 2020 and following the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month, Jessee Liebau will be hosting a Virtual Veterans Networking Group (VNG) through CareerSource Tampa Bay. Our only requirement it that we request that you have an active Employ Florida account. More information on this is to come. Contact email@example.com.
- R3 or Rapid Response Recovery program to help distribute $21.5 million in funding for Job Seekers and Businesses. The R3 program is funded by the Federal Cares Act with funding provided by Hillsborough County Commissioner with a goal to have 2100 job seekers participate in Short-Term and On-The-Job Training. R3 is also free for Employers who can receive a retention incentive, in addition to reimbursement of 100% of the first $1200 of employee salaries for the first 90 days.
Stay Connected by Joining Our Online Groups!
- Col Ben Jonsson assumed command of the 6ARW on August 4th: Click here to see a message from Col Jonsson
- Van Ovost Sworn in as AMC Boss, Becoming Military’s Only Female Four Star: After 32 years in service, including flying 4,200 hours in more than 30 aircraft, and tours in both the Air and Joint Staff, Van Ovost on Aug. 20 became the Defense Department’s only four-star female general—the fifth in Air Force history. During a ceremony at Scott Air Force Base, Ill., she took over that distinction and command of Air Mobility Command from her predecessor and the DOD’s previous only female four-star, retiring Gen. Maryanne Miller. | Read more here.
- September 17th: Hiring Our Heroes is pleased to present a virtual Military Spouse Employment Summit this year. The event will highlight the adaptability shown by organizations, military spouses, and community leaders throughout 2020. This year, companies around the world shifted to remote work, and the United States faced skyrocketing unemployment rates as we weathered the COVID-19 crisis. The 2020 virtual Summit will explore the long-term viability of the innovative employment solutions adopted during this time and how they impact military spouses. | RSVP HERE
- September 17th: Official launch of the Tampa Chapter of the Florida Association of Veteran Owned Businesses (FAVOB). Attendees can engage with fellow Veteran business owners and Veteran supporters from Tampa as well as from across the State of Florida. This is a great opportunity for live networking by joining “Meeting Tables” for more in-depth conversations. | RSVP HERE
- September 17th: Orientation for STRIVE at InLab@HCC | The STRIVE program is an entrepreneurship training program offered through Syracuse University's Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF), in partnership with Hillsborough Community College. | Click here for more information.
- R.I.S.E for Veteran Business Owners & Operators: Hosted by the Jim Moran Institute for Global Entrepreneurship, part of Florida State University’s College of Business, and the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University, R.I.S.E. is a six-week program dedicated to small business owners, veteran business owners and military family business owners.| Click here for more information.
- Blue Star Families Tampa Chapter Launched: Read the Times Article Here! | Your voice is needed to make an impact for the Military Community. Share your family's unique military life experiences on the 2020 #BSFSurvey TODAY to drive change in our nation. | TAKE THE SURVEY HERE
South Tampa Chamber members are invited to connect with fellow members online in our private member groups! Please make sure to answer the questions asked so our Admins will be able to approve your request to join.
Be well and be safe,
Kelly Flannery, FCCP | President & CEO
South Tampa Chamber of Commerce
Download Your Open for Business Toolkit
South Tampa Chamber COVID19 Resources
South Tampa Chamber Business Recovery Resources